Dolphins are wonderful creatures and many people enjoying watching them when on vacation in Myrtle Beach, SC. While many people have seen these beautiful mammals in an aquarium or from the beach, a dolphin cruise on the Sea Racer Myrtle Beach is the best way to see them up close and personal.
While many of us know that dolphins are intelligent, fun, and captivating, there are plenty more facts about them which may surprise you.
Bottlenose dolphins are one of the most common species of dolphins found in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
- They are recognizable for their grey-colored bodies, curved dorsal fins, and long, beak-like snouts. They can grow up to 12 feet long and weigh up to 1,400 pounds.
- Bottlenose dolphins are mammals and need to breathe air just like us. They breathe through a blowhole on top of their head and can hold their breath for up to 12 minutes.
- They swim close to the surface where they leap and dive. They can also dive to depths of 1,000 feet or more.
- These dolphins are very social creatures and often travel in groups, known as pods, which can consist of up to several hundred individuals. These are social groups where they bond and make friendships with each other, as well as take care of their sick or injured. It also helps them with finding food and raising their calves.
- They are also known for their intelligence and have been observed exhibiting complex behaviors such as tool use, problem-solving, and even self-awareness.
- Bottlenose dolphins are carnivorous and mainly feed on fish, squid, and crustaceans.
- In Myrtle Beach, dolphins can often be seen swimming close to shore, particularly in the early morning or late afternoon when they are most active.
- While they are generally friendly towards humans, it is important to remember that they are wild animals and should not be approached or disturbed.
- Bottlenose dolphins in Myrtle Beach are also vulnerable to environmental threats such as pollution, habitat loss, and overfishing, so it is important to protect their habitat and ensure their survival for future generations to enjoy.
It is very possible that you will see bottlenose dolphins in Myrtle Beach on a Sea Racer boat tour. Sea Racer Myrtle Beach offers dolphin cruises 3 times a day every day of the week. These tours are a great way to see these beautiful creatures up close in their natural habitat. During the cruise, the boat will travel along the coastline and look for dolphins swimming and playing in the water. Our tour guides are very knowledgeable about the dolphins’ behavior and can provide interesting information about these amazing creatures. It’s important to remember, however, that dolphins are wild animals and their behavior cannot be predicted, so there’s no guarantee that you will see them on a tour. Nevertheless, if you’re lucky enough to spot them, it can be a truly unforgettable experience!